junio 14, 2005

To the V-E crowds:


"My dear friends, this is your hour. This is not victory of a party or of any class. It's a victory of the great British nation as a whole. We were the first, in this ancient island, to draw the sword against tyranny. After a while we were left all alone against the most tremendous military power that has been seen. We were all alone for a whole year.
There we stood, alone. Did anyone want to give in? [The crowd shouted "No."] Were we down-hearted? ["No!"] The lights went out and the bombs came down. But every man, woman and child in the country had no thought of quitting the struggle. London can take it. So we came back after long months from the jaws of death, out of the mouth of hell, while all the world wondered. When shall the reputation and faith of this generation of English men and women fail? I say that in the long years to come not only will the people of this island but of the world, wherever the bird of freedom chirps in human hearts, look back to what we've done and they will say "do not despair, do not yield to violence and tyranny, march straightforward and die if need be-unconquered." Now we have emerged from one deadly struggle-a terrible foe has been cast on the ground and awaits our judgment and our mercy."
Sir Winston Churchill
May 8, 1945
London

The entire speech here.

As I promised, I tried until the last moment, with the last breath, the last effort was made and finally, this huge challenge have finally been overcome. As I promised, I haven´t lost my faith on future, on the latent possibility of success. And so, it's true now. The Marschall succeded. And the victory relies not on the success, but on overcoming the difficulties and the defeats. Mit alle die Macht!!!, my friend and Führer.




During the celebrations that followed the announcement of the end of the war in Europe, Churchill and his principal colleagues appeared on the balcony of the Ministry of Health in Whitehall, and made two brief speeches to the vast crowd. After the words "This is your victory" the crowd roared back, "No-it is yours." It was an unforgettable moment of love and gratitude.

"God bless you all. This is your victory! It is the victory of the cause of freedom in every land. In all our long history we have never seen a greater day than this. Everyone, man or woman, has done their best. Everyone has tried. Neither the long years, nor the dangers, nor the fierce attacks of the enemy, have in any way weakened the independent resolve of the British nation. God bless you all."

Sir Winston Churchill
May 8, 1945
Ministry of Health, London

The entire speech here.

Thanks to every one out there who believed in this little soldier. Those were, among many others, my finest hours. And I'm glad to still alive, so I can remember myself becoming a better one.
After all, there's a chance to put back, far away, the fears... how really much I desire to be an Hoplite! At least, I've faced death, fearless... and, in some way, I've died. A part of me did.
As Leónidas said, "hence, we will fight in the darkness"...

Bis bald!!

No hay comentarios.:

Lo más fresco

Following the White Rabbit

I’m just a south american on his late twenties, following Arsenal on a regular basis during the last fifteen years or so. There...